Holy Mary of Mercy
The Church of Holy Mary of Mercy known more as Misericordia was built in 1388 as testified on an inscription to be found on the transom of this sacral edifice "DEI PARI VIRGINI MISERICORDIARUM SACRUM ERECTUM ANNO MCCCLXXXVIII" .
On the facade there is a high relief of Mary the protector placed upon an almost rectangular board surrounded by stylized clouds and various air forms. The church has been enlarged in the middle of 15th century and from 1453 it belongs to the monastery community of the Augustinians. According to the legend this particular location for its building had been chosen because that was the place where the Virgin Mary appeared. Nowadays it is placed within Dante square, but until 1856 it was along the southern part while half of the present square’s medieval walls were damaged with the two towers opposite from Saint Mary Misericordia.