Fort Bourguignon (originally called Fort Monsival) is one of the many Austrian forts in Pula built in the second half of the 19th century to defend the main Austrian naval port. It is one of the last forts built within the inner defensive fortification ring measuring a radius of 2.5 km that defends the very port of Pula. It was named after the Austrian admiral and naval officer Anton Bourguignon von Baumberg.
The construction of a small circular fort began in 1852/53, which was then integrated in a larger fortification. Finally, in 1866 the construction of a circular two-storey fort with a circular central courtyard was completed.
An arched corridor looking onto the courtyard stretches along each floor, whereas 20 casemates form the outer edge of the fort. On the lower floor of the fort there are three gun embrasures and on the upper floor one canon embrasure. The ceiling, supported by massive oak beams, once divided the two floors in each casemate. Today, only a few examples of these beams are preserved. The roof of the fort undoubtedly served as a movable artillery platform, providing 360° protection. The iron Škoda dome for observation, constructed and put up at the turn of the 19th and the 20th century, has been preserved until today.
The fort entrance was defended by a drawbridge and two flanking caponiers, and the remaining part of the fort with a defensive moat and slanted supporting wall with gallery and gun embrasures.